Sunday, 1 May 2016

Ramblings on how to make home-made fabric bin liners

Cotton bin liners drafted and made and up to the job; template cut for future bin liner making.

How did you go about this exciting, innovative task? I hear no-one cry.


Well. This is the science part. Concentrate.



I thought the three triangles at the bottom would add capacity to the bag better than simply boxing the corners as I would have done with a bag. Finally, I thought, I would have a chance to put the protractor I'd kept from childhood to good use by working out angles etc. 




I couldn't find the protractor. I think this is a good lesson for those who hoard thinking 'I might use that one day'. While it's true that I did find a way to use a 20+ year old relic from schooldays, I was then unable to locate it.


The intelligent side of my brain then pointed out that because of the different measurements involved with the height and radius of each bin, I wouldn't be able to break down every triangle to an exact 120 degree point anyway. Further evidence, hoarders, that you might not need what you've been keeping hold of for decades. 


How to put this upside crown pattern together?

Stitch as shown above.

Open out bin-liner and sew the next part of the crown to create the 3D part of the lining. When you have sewn this part there should only be two triangle sides left to sew together.

Sew last two sides together

Folder over about an inch of fabric at the top of the bin liner and sew closest to the rough edge of the fabric, leaving a gap of between 1-2 inches. This creates a casing for the drawstring.

Use a safety clip to thread your drawstring through the casement.

And this is what mine look like. Redundant pillowcases and an old tatty duvet cover recycled into something useful that hopefully won't outlive you in landfill.

This is a beginner level sewing pattern that I would also give the classification of 'quick and dirty'. So many patterns require a lot of attention to neat finishing etc but as this is a bin-liner I didn't bother trimming seams or cutting threads. It's quite liberating to do that kind of sewing once in a while. If you have a shortage of bobbins then it's another useful little project for using them up as you don't have to worry about thread matching either - I used red and green thread on my bin-liners.

I promised to give people a glimpse of the uber-mature, fashionable bin I have in my bedroom and here it is. It's my husband's and he refused point blank to have it replaced or upgraded when we moved in together. I live in a colourful household.


Just to reiterate, these bin liners are for use in household bins where goo is kept to a minimum, unlike kitchen bins where goo and mank are far more common and cotton bin-liners would have serious issues with seepage.


Maxine Bendix

No comments:

Post a Comment