Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Something New: Washi Tape Feathers


Having had success with negative space sewing, I rifled around in my 'something new' jar to pick the next project and came up with embroidering patterned fabric. Ideally, this post should be an update on that but, I'll be honest, it didn't go that well. It could be down to the fact I picked the wrong fabric or the reality that I am still pretty new to embroidery and didn't have the skills to transfer the image in my head onto the fabric. Whatever, I have decided to move on to other things. I needed something quick and fun to pep me up and so I decided to have a go at making washi tape feathers.

The next question some might ask would be: why? What use could you possibly have for washi tape feathers? Sit down, and I'll tell you a tale...

I make a lot of my own giftwrap now, embellishing plain paper with hand-drawn designs (and hopefully in the future printed ones), collage and other paper based ephemera. The washi tape feather would be another tool in my embellishment arsenal. It's something that's so simple to make and can add a lovely individual touch to a gift.

From washi tape crafts

As with the majority of my list of crafts to try, I first saw these on Pinterest. There are lots of tutorials. Some use cocktail sticks for the centre, others use yarn or chord or garden twine. Depending on what you are going to do with it would influence what you chose. If you were doing this as an activity with children, you'd probably want to steer clear of the cocktail sticks as injury could ensue either accidental or through the perfectly natural sibling impulse to stab another sibling with the nearest sharp object. 

Bookmarks from My DIY Tips
I don't think I'd use washi feathers for this as I am quite
hardwearing on my bookmarks but if you are dainty and
delicate with such things it's an idea

The feathers I made are quite narrow and I consideredmy initial thought was that buying thicker washi tape would be better for the next set - then realised that the tape I had was just fine if I
a) overlapped the layers of tape to make it wider before adding to the chord 
and
b) did various tapes in horizontal bands and could then have a multi-colouted feather as plump as I wanted

Washi tape feathers would be an easy card embellishment, something bright and colourful to send.

Card design from three umbrellas

Want to know what else you could do with these feathers? I'm sure Pinterest and Google are stuffed with ideas so go check them out. 

The thing to remember with these items is that they would not be particularly robust. Whatever you used them for, they couldn't stand up to continual handling. They could make a lovely seasonal decoration, like a row of feather bunting for a spring or summer party. You could make cupcake decorations out of them or scatter them over a table at a wedding as decoration. Like everything, you just need a little imagination to come up with some great creative ideas.

An idea from Pellmell Creations




2 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely LOVE those feathers...Don't have a vast stock of washi tape...But wind me up and watch me go to my nearest craft shop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's taken so long to reply - found a stash of unpublished comments on my account! Hope you found some fun washi tape and got to make those feathers.

      Delete