Sunday, 6 August 2017

Fold and Mail Tutorial

What to do when you love the idea of sending out fold and mail stationery, but the only stuff you can see in the shops and online is a bit too rich for your blood? Make some of your own of course!

I pick up a secondhand book with lots of piccies of polar animals in it along with a load of trite quotations. It was the animals I wanted rather than the words, and rather than tear out a page at a time I found the central pages that had binding and snipped through the strings so I could pull out the pages as double page spreads. They seemed to me to be perfect fodder for a fold and mail experiment.

You will need:
A ruler of some description (I used a quilter's ruler)
Card for the template (your preference of thickness, I used 1mm thick card as it makes a robust template)
Glue like pritt stick, or double sided tape
Scissors and/or a paper trimmer
Writing paper for the inside of the envelope (I used sheets from an A4 refill pad)
Sheets from the book/ wrapping paper/ magazine/ comic you want to use
This tutorial is about how to make a fold and mail to the specifications of the book sheets/etc you want to use so I won't be giving any exact measurements. 

1.) Cut your piece of card to the shape of the paper you are using, and draw a line down the middle to indicate the halfway point. My book pages came with a readymade fold down the centre but if yours don't you might want to fold them so you have a reference point for later.
2.) I drew 1/2 inch lines down the longer sides of the card, and on the half that would make up the back of the envelope I also drew a line 1 inch from the bottom, marking the spaces drawn so I'd know they needed to be cut off.
3.) For the top half of the template, the front of the envelope, I used a quilting ruler to draw angles for where to cut the envelope sides and top.
Like so:
And when I cut off all the bits of card I no longer needed this is the template I was left with:
4.) Remember that fold you made in your piece of envelope paper? Place your template over the paper, matching the line in the centre of the cardboard template with the fold. Draw round the template and cut out. You should end up with something like this: 
5.) Cut a piece of paper to size and stick in the inside of the envelope using either glue or double-sided tape. If using glue, something like pritt stick would be better than a wetter glue that is likely to warp the paper.
6.) If you have an envelope maker board, use it to score the lines for the envelope flaps to make folding easier. If you don't have an envelope maker it's easy enough to fold the paper over.
And you are done! Front view:
Back view:
All you need to do now is make some more . . . and remember to write some letters of course! You can just write on the one sheet you have in your envelope but I would always add a couple more. If you have a specific set of writing paper you want to use, cut that to size to fit your envelope. If you have writing paper you don't want to cut down, adapt your envelope template to fit your writing paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment